I finished my potholders for the swap! They are currently flinging themselves up to Massachusetts, and I will patiently (not) wait for my five unique potholders that will come in return. These were fun to make, but my hands needed frequent brakes because crocheting so tightly with cotton gives me clawhand.
I considered challenging myself with a more interesting pattern, but I feared that would have resulted in unfinished potholders. So I stuck with my own free pattern, Maggie’s Kitchen, and tried to make them very colorful and fun. The yarn is Cotton Classic, and a bunch of the colors came from my Mom’s remnants from this blanket.
I finished my hallway! What a transformation. All the painting, caulking, and assembling of the Ikea items gave me clawhand for about a month straight. But it’s the best room in the house now. I like to go in there every once in a while just to look around.
We call this space The Hallway. A better description might be Broom Closet, Linen Closet, Pantry, Medicine Cabinet, Homebrewing Headquarters, or Board Game Storage. Anywho. We all love it. There is still a lot of unused storage space, so I think there will be gradual reorganization to get everything in the right spot.
And last but not least, I finished my Swap Mittens! (And my swap partner received them, which is why I can show them to you.) These were certainly clawhand-inducing mittens. I designed a mitten and started knitting it. But the pattern wasn’t exactly how I wanted it. So I tried different yarn. And it still wasn’t right. Then I redesigned the pattern, but the mitten was too big. So I ripped back to the beginning and adjusted the chart. And FINALLY they were right.
I love them, not only because I think they’re pretty, but because I worked hard to get this idea out of my head. And I stuck with the idea even though it wasn’t translating well on the pins. The pattern…is forthcoming. I’ll let you know.